Tosokchon Samgyetang | Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup (Review)

On Day 3 of my trip to Korea, after visiting Gyeongbokgung Palace, we searched for about 45 minutes to find a place that served good ginseng chicken soup! It was one of the few requests my aunts had for this trip. The restaurant we knew of was near the palace, but we got lost.

If only my stubborn brother had just listened to me and let me lead the way, we would've arrived at the restaurant in 10 minutes!

The restaurant is Tosokchon Samgyetang. The building looks like a traditional Korean house, and even the seats are just mats on the wooden floor! They use traditional methods to cook the food too, with a little help from modern technology, of course.

Toksokchon Samgyetang was tucked away in a little alley. Of course, we ordered what Tosokchon Samyetang was known for-  samgyetang i.e. ginseng chicken soup!

They did not disappoint. Both chicken soups were absolutely amazing! You've got to try it if you're ever travelling in Seoul. The meat was tender, and the broth was thick and flavourful! The Koreans also stuff their ginseng chicken with glutinous rice, much like how westerners stuff turkeys during Thanksgiving, and it was simply delicious! 

White chicken
The most unpleasant part was when I tried a little glass of liquid... we couldn't figure out if it was something to pour into the soup, or a complementary drink, so I had a taste. It was some hard liquor, kind of like vodka. I choked so badly on it omg. It burned all the way down my throat and the taste stayed in my mouth for a really long time! 

It's normal for the Koreans as they love drinking, and it's not uncommon to see them drinking when the weather is cold, or drinking when they're having a meal. Or so I've been told. The little glass was like a shot glass of liquor for us to better enjoy our meal...

You can see the tiny shot glass in the photo below, next to the bigger "shot glass".

Black chicken (more delicious imo)
There was also a pancake (not the western breakfast type of pancake), but I didn't take a photo because I was too busy eating. 

We wandered around some more after our delicious meal to stretch our legs after sitting on the floor for the past hour or so. That was probably the most uncomfortable part of our dining experience- we aren't used to sitting cross-legged on the floor for extended periods of time.

The food was a little on the pricey side, but well worth it.

We also visited a poop cafe after our yummy samgyetang meal. Yes, poop cafe. You can read it in my next post! Hehe I love eating nonstop when travelling! <3

Comments

Popular Posts